Candidate for Board of Education
Qualifications & Community Involvement
- Currently serving on the Board of Education
- Member of the BOE’s Pension Committee and Policy Committee
- 5 years experience managing budgets of similar size to the school board in a professional environment
- Member – Town of South Windsor Human Rights Commission
- Vice Chair – South Windsor Alliance for Progress
Bank Associate Vice President/Planning & Analysis
B.S. Business Administration (New England College of Business and Finance)
I am Mike Paré and I am asking for your support as I seek my second term on the South Windsor Board of Education. Elections are November 5, 2019. Vote Row A for the Democratic team!
I’m 35 years old and have lived in South Windsor since 2013 and have worked in town since 2005. My wife Samantha and I always knew that we wanted to live and raise a family in South Windsor. Our oldest daughter Cadence just started first grade at Pleasant Valley Elementary School and her sister Zoe will be in the first kindergarten class to start in the newly built elementary school (vote YES in March 2020!). We wanted to move to town because of the stellar reputation of South Windsor’s school system and welcoming community.
I’m a firm believer that education is the basis for all progress and continuous improvement is one of my core values. We live in a constantly changing world and providing children with a solid foundation on which to learn and grow is critical to future success.
I started my first term on the South Windsor Board of Education in 2017. In that time the Board of Education has made amazing progress. We’ve implemented elementary level world language, began construction on two elementary schools, passed fiscally responsible budgets, proactively hired a Director of School Safety to ensure our students can continue learning in a safe environment, completely updated our district’s policy manual, and much more.
The Democratic team has the diversity of experience South Windsor needs to maintain our continued success. We are teachers, coaches, and business people by profession. More importantly we are parents and members of a community committed to the success of our students.
Beyond the Board of Education I also volunteer on our town’s Human Relations Commission and serve as Vice Chair for the South Windsor Alliance for Progress because I believe it is important to give back to and participate in the community.
The Human Relations Commission has flourished in the past two years, contributing towards our Sustainable South Windsor scores with the state and hosting meaningful community events. The South Windsor Human Relations Commission encourages communication and mutual respect among all the citizens of South Windsor.
The South Windsor Alliance for Progress hosts community conversations on important topics with the goal of educating, inspiring, empowering, and ultimately encouraging our community to vote. Panels have covered topics such as women’s rights, immigration, healthcare, and LGBTQ+ rights.
My professional background is in business and finance. I graduated with my Bachelor’s degree in 2015 and for the past five years I have worked for a regional community bank as a budget manager with oversight to an expense budget comparable to the one in our town. My analytical skills and familiarity with financial principles allows me to offer a unique perspective in our town’s largest financial obligation, our school district.
Progressive values and policy in education are the cornerstones of my candidacy, and is directly in line with the South Windsor school district vision statement. My mission is to work on the following goals:
- Promote a safe, collaborative, and compassionate environment where students from all backgrounds are able to learn and grow free of bullying. I am committed to supporting programs, policies, and curriculum that bring students together.
- Leverage my experience in budget & forecasting to navigate the difficult budget decisions facing our schools.
- Continue supporting our district’s strategic plan and elementary facilities master plan to ensure our children are educated in modern “best in class” facilities.
- Most importantly, I want an open dialogue with our community. No one person has all of the answers so I look forward to collecting feedback from South Windsor residents and learning from people in our community.
Thank you for your support!